Size and Style
Consider what you need size-wise and where you will park your vehicle.
- Compact, mid-size or large vehicle? A two-door coupe or a four-door sedan? Do you want a Crossover, Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV), Pickup Truck, Station Wagon or Minivan?
- (If its a larger vehicle, do you want a third row, bucket or bench seating?) Does you car need to fit into a driveway, garage or parking space?
- Do you need a pass thru to the trunk for skis or etc; seats that fold, split or fold-flat? Do you want a hatchback or need a large trunk?
- Do you require a vehicle that is handicap accessible?
Interior and ExteriorJust like the clothes you wear and the house you live in, your car can be a reflection of you.
- Color is key. Make a choice that you can live with
- Interior options: do you prefer leather, chrome, wood, bright colors or dark colors?
- Do you want 16 way-heated leather seats or cloth seats with lumbar support?
- Do you want a spacious cabin that resembles your living room or a cozy sports car cockpit?
What is it for?Is this your family car, mid-life crisis car, single and sexy wheels, work vehicle or simply a station wagon?
- Is this your primary or secondary vehicle?
- For business travel or daily commute?
- Will you be hauling soccer crews and taking road trips?
- Towing a boat or trailer?
- Do you need to impress clients or colleagues?
DynamicsDo you want to go fast? or go green?
- Are you looking for a fuel-efficient ride?
- 4, 6, or 8 or more cylinders?
- Alternative fuel (hybrid, electric, ethanol, diesel.)
Weather and road conditions: Are you really going off-road?
- Do you need front-wheel, rear-wheel, four-wheel or all-wheel drive?
TransmissionSome people like the feel of a manual, others like the ease of automatic. If you want both, options include sports shifters or manual paddles.
SafetyThis is a given. Aside from front and side airbags, ABS, fog lights, daytime running lights, 3-point seatbelts and other standard safety needs, heres some options to consider:
- Child proof door locks and automatic sliding doors and windows that are pinch proof
- Night vision system
- Backup warning system, camera or beeper
- Navigation System or OnStar
- Lane Departure Warning System
ComfortIndulge yourself. Options like these could make all the difference to your driving experience.
- Cruise control
- Power steering
- Power windows, power side mirrors, power sliding doors
- Tinted glass
- Remote entry
- Tilting and telescoping steering wheel
- Adjustable pedals (for people of all sizes)
- Remote trunk release
- Heated or cooled seats
- Keyless entry and push-button start
Special OptionsThis list could fill a swimming pool! We picked some of the more obvious ones to think about.
- Sun roof/Moon roof
- Alarm system
- Top of the line sound systems with options including satellite radio, MP3 and Ipod connectivity, extra speakers
- Theft Deterrent System
- Entertainment system with wireless headsets